I found this video online today, and I think it raises an issue and feeling that I've been thinking about a lot since the Proposition 8 campaign last fall. I'm not writing to share my opinion on Prop 8 or talk about how I feel about anyone else's opinion. I think it is a very personal and sacred thing for every person.
The main thing that made me sad was the division within the church, especially on the blogosphere and on Facebook that seemed so laced with antagonism and even hatred. Both sides seemed to hold these feelings for each other, which deeply troubled me. Where else, if not in our community of Saints, can we feel safe to express our concerns, doubts, and fears about the world and its issues?
I really liked Bob Rees' comments in the video. He is a former bishop and a professor at UCLA:
"In reality, this is an issue which has divided our society. It’s divided churches. It’s divided families, and some individuals are divided within themselves."
"The most unfortunate thing for me in all of this thing that happened over Proposition 8 was the divisiveness, the acrimony. Each side began in some sense emotionally and spiritually dis-fellowshipping or excommunicating the other side."
His first comment I find so intriguing because I think it speaks to the nuance of many people's views. The people who were most vocal in this debate were the ones who fell far away from the moderate, not the ones who were struggling or unsure of what they thought.
The second comment speaks to the division that so saddened me.
I hope that we as a community of Saints can find peace and harmony, love and understanding within our chapel and temple walls. I hope that we can show the love of Christ for our homosexual brothers and sisters in the gospel. I hope that we can find a "home" within the church that shelters us from the ugliness and acrimony of the world and where we can commune with our Heavenly Father and Christ.
One of the most important things about growing up and learning to live in the world is learning to accept those who think differently from us. How wonderful that we have a forgiving and loving religious community in which to practice this integral eternal skill!
P.S. Also, a Mormon female OB/GYN in San Francisco? Awesome! Is that too far to drive to have a baby?
5.24.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thank you for that video Rachel. I agree with you that the hatred and acrimony is unacceptable. Although living here in California, we haven't seen too much of that in our Ward. I think one thing that all should be aware of is that aside from all issues this is about following the prophet. That should be a point on which all faithful Latter-Day Saints can come together. And the prophet did not ask for hatred, he only asked for love in all of this.
Thanks Rachel for your thoughtfulness, as usual. I think there were many wards in the Bay Area that had serious divisiveness over the results of the Church's request. I hope that there can be healing. Let's cross our fingers for tomorrow.
Amen.
Well said. It is hard in the real world for all of us to love the sinner and abhor the sin. Hopefully, we will increase our love and tolerance for one another.
Post a Comment