8.11.2009

The Best Movie I've Seen This Year. . .

. . .was originally released in 1964.



Will and I were lucky enough to be able to see "My Fair Lady" at the Stanford Theatre with K and G lately. The theatre originally opened in 1925, but was restored in the 1980's by the Packard foundation (yes, of Hewlett-Packard).


Before the movie (and at intermission) an organist plays on the stage, there are vintage movie posters in the hallways, tickets are $7.00 (isn't is depressing that the price sounds cheap?), and popcorn is $1.50! The theatre itself is also stunning, and it was great to see a movie that I'd only ever seen on a TV screen on the big screen!

This is now Will's back-up employment plan. I think he needs some more work on the organ before it becomes a career option.

Also, K had never seen "My Fair Lady," so it was obviously a life-changing experience for her. I had the opportunity to fall back into love with Audrey Hepburn. She was just so charming and is absolutely adorable in the movie. Loyalty demands, however, that I mention how much I would have liked to see Julie Andrews' performance, but Audrey is a close runner-up.

So adorable, right?

We might have to make this a Palo Alto favorite; it's so nice to go to have a movie-going experience that feels so exciting and romantic!

P.S. Go watch this video, it's the right thing to do.

2 comments:

deena said...

If I come will you take me to the movies?

Rachel (and Will) said...

Of course! I'd even buy you popcorn.