12.24.2008

Skiing

This post could have alternatively been titled, "Rachel Looks Certain Death in the Face."

Will and I went skiing with Don last Thursday. The boys were thrilled to be getting up on the slopes (or other such ski-jargon) and I was cautiously optimistic. I have only been skiing once, it was last winter in New York, and it wasn't exactly a rousing success.


This is what I look like skiing; i.e. on the ground. (Note: This is actually me, the result of some ski lesson stalking by William)

This time, I actually spent more time on my skis than on the ground, in the morning at least. See, in the morning we were on the "Chickadee" hill (read: bunny hill), which to my credit was about five times bigger than the little bunny hill I went on in New York. I made it down quite a few times without falling and doing nice turns and everything. I was even almost as good as the seven year-olds on the hill with me and pretty proud of myself! Well, you know what they say about pride before the fall and everything. In my case it was very literal.

After a delicious tuna salad lunch (be sure to make me give you the recipe for this tuna salad, it is AMAZING), Will decided I was ready for a real run. We took the chairlift of death (so named by me) to the top of a real mountain. I was very scared, but Will convinced me that there was no other way down except to ski.

And so we went. Let's just say I cried three times and seriously considered sliding all the way down on my rear end. I also considered constructing a snow cave, but that plan was abandoned when I realized I don't know how to do that.

Needless to say, I need more practice. Specifically, more practice on the Chickadee hill. That's just about my speed.

4 comments:

Maren said...

You are not helping me convince Bryan (a never before skier) to go with me this winter with this harrowing tale.

Susie said...

Hey there always has to be a first...or a second time to ski...way to try it out. With some perseverance you can become a pro! Or just one of those average skiers like me!

Unknown said...

hi rachel, do you remember me? i found your blog through that of a mutual friend. her name is laney. i am pretty sure you remember her.

I MISS YOU! it's a yum yummy yum in the yummy. i want to revive that "SNOW!" medley in the worst way. by the end of the "WINTER CELEBRATION" i was laughing so hard i lost it and whacked sarah cohen with my four-limbed finale move. however, i have read your blog carefully, and noted that you call the "winter wonderland" banquet offering your crowning achievement of choreography...um, are you forgetting "embraceable you" from the broadway year? we danced together. and raised the ire of some more PC counselors with the gypsy reference, which i believe should have been "roma" though that doesn't rhyme with "tipsy". oh, and the "martial" swing, which i always read as "marital". speaking of which, i hope all is well, and i am excited to see you soon! xo

Rachel (and Will) said...

Maren: Sorry, but you can tell Bryan that I am planning on going again, so it wasn't all that horrible! The hot chocolate is pretty good too...

Susie: I merely aspire to be an average skier. As of now, I can only truthfully call myself average for an eight year-old!

Rayanne: Embrace me, my sweet embraceable you. Why didn't you guys sing that at the wedding? It would have been a hit! I don't know which choreography I should be more proud of, but don't forget the PC counselors getting upset about frolicking and playing the Eskimo way, and the ensuing movement to sing the "Inuit way." Excited to see more of you next year!